Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Apple Cherry Cheddar Scones

A Baking post!


A while back my bf and myself took a little drive out of Sunshineville proper to the town of Julian. We decided this trip we would get pie first since the Julian Pie Company closes at 5pm and we missed having their pie the last time we had been up. While standing in line we were discussing what type we were going to get and discussing ice cream or no ice cream. Then low and behold I see you can have your pie served with a piece of cheddar cheese. I got all excited and decided absolutely no ice-cream for me for cheddar is the way to my heart!!! My bf gives me a strange look and made some kinda comment along the lines of ...not that again... You see our last trip up the only place open was an other restaurant which had decent pie but not as good at Julian Pie Company's and the cheddar I got on it was definitely not top notice cheddar. So while good it was not excellent and definitely not the way to introduce this seemingly odd concoction to my bf. In my quick research of the origins of cheddar on apple pie it seems to come from regions that produce really good cheddar cheese (Vermont, NE, NY). My grandfather who grew up in Wisconsin also was a fan. Apply pie and cheddar cheese must be eaten correctly. This means no store bought pies and only top line extra-sharp (the sharper the better) cheddar cheese (please no store brands! My go to standby is Tillamook).



So...how does a discussion of apple pie and cheddar cheese leads to scones...it shouldn't be a huge leap if you look at the post title.

I found a recipe for Apple Cheddar Scones from the food blog SmittenKitchen. The recipe posted there had been tweaked from one in The Perfect Finish. The recipe in SK instructed to use white cheddar although I used yellow cheddar and it didn't look terrible. I also substituted half of the regular flour for whole wheat and I added dried cherries. I know this makes the recipe a bit more expensive to make since dried cherries are not cheap, but the cherry and apple with the cheddar flavor is to die for, at least in my opinion. While I am a lazy baker when it come to steps like brushing with an egg wash. But I do recommend not being lazy in this case because it does make the scones look so much more appetizing.  The scones got rave reviews from all who tried them and I was assured while I thought the cheddar taste was a bit wimpy that you could taste the cheddar and it made a tasty combo. My bf gobbled the ones I gave him right up! I think I might tweak the recipe by adding more cheddar or sprinkling some one the top to bake. From there I might go wild and add cheese to pie crusts...that is if I don't eat the cheese before I get to baking it!

2 comments:

  1. interesting... cheese on pie?! and coincidental timing- I just this morning heard of cheddar on apple pie in the book i'm listening to in the car, and I thought the guy was crazy. I like cheddar with apples, but not sure about with sugar and spice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try it! I make my apple pies on the less sugary and spiced. Although the flavor of sharp cheddar can cut the sweetness in a delightful way. I am really wanting to make a pear pie with a Gouda crust.

    ReplyDelete