Thursday, May 3, 2012

Irish Coffee

Irish coffee is one of those beverages that combine two of my favorites into one delicious combination! Coffee and Irish whiskey! They are pretty simple to make and don't require anything special equipment or skills. I have made them a couple times in the past without thinking of looking up a recipe. While I enjoyed my own concoctions, there was always something missing compared to the ones I had ordered out (The best one was from the bar at the Hotel Del in Coronado). 

There was a recipe in my newly acquired Irish Pub Cookbook and come to find out I was missing the sugar. And while I don't normally add sugar to my coffee it did add something to the drink.




What you need:

Coffee
Whiskey
Brown Sugar (turbinado sugar also works)
Cream (to be authentic is shouldn't be whipped but if you can find any heavy cream just use whipped)

What you do:

Brew coffee (make it strong!). In a coffee cup (glass ones if you have them make them look pretty) pour a shot of whiskey in, add coffee and a 2 tsp to a 1 Tbsp of sugar. Stir. Carefully add whipped cream(or super heavy cream) on top. For a flair you can dust the top with a little coco powder or cinnamon.

Don't they look delicious!

What ever you do - don't stir in the cream! The coffee is suppose to be sipped through the cream. The picture from above is from ESFSW and my first attempt. The whipped cream was 100% real but from a can - and held up quite well to the heat of the coffee. We have made them again but this time with the extra whipped cream used with the strawberries and cream (minus the cardamom). Mine did not turn out as well - I filled the cups up with too much coffee and so when the cream started to melt the cups overflowed (I refrained from taking a picture of this minor catastrophe!). It is definitely a recipe worth saving and is a nice evening drink on cold rainy nights. If caffeine keeps you up at night you can use decaf. The stronger the roast the better!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment