Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Braised Brussels Sprouts and a 5 minute Egg

If you are wondering if you read the title wrong I swear I didn't make a mistake! Yes, braised Brussels sprouts and a 5 minute egg!. Now for any of you how have spent any time in France or with french cooking soft boiled eggs are very common on top salads, the runny yolk combines with any dressing used making something rather ordinary into something that is wonderfully rich. 

I was a little low on groceries one night last week but had some Brussels sprouts and eggs, so I decided to combine them! So I braised the Brussels sprouts in butter and popped and egg into boiling water for 5 minutes. Best to start the egg only after you braised the Brussels spouts.

Place cut side down sprouts in a pan with melted butter and some garlic - over medium heat
Turn over when cut side is browned

When both sides are browned add 1/2 cup of water

Once the water has evaporated they are ready to go!
 Arrange the Brussels sprouts on a plate. If you lettuce greens you can put the sprouts onto these, tomatoes and crumbled bacon would also be lovely additions. Since I didn't have these things I just did the sprouts. Once the egg is done - carefully remove from the boiling water and rinse with cold water. Carefully peel the egg - the egg will be soft and hot. If it breaks just plop it on top the sprouts and let the golden yolk run out overall the sprouts.

The cabbage is my first attempted at vinegar cured cabbage which you will hear more about in future posts!

My plate!


It is a bit of a random dinner or lunch idea but it turned out quite tasty! And if you don't sometimes try something that sounds weird you never discover wonderful combinations like this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment