Sunday, March 25, 2012

As promised...Hot Chocolaty Goodness

 

Hot chocolaty goodness (Aka Molten Chocolate Cakes) deserves its own post, so here it is. I teased at the end of my Valentine's post of this dessert and your wait will be worth it. Not only is this recipe incredibly easy to whip up, it is also sinfully delicious. Well that is if you like chocolate...wait are there people who DON'T like chocolate?

Nigella Lawson's Molten Chocolate Cakes
 

Once again this recipe hails from the awesome and amazing Nigella Lawson! I warned you I like her! I've made this once before for a friend's bachelorette gathering, but decided it was the best option for a Valentine's Day dessert, for a couple reasons. First, it is chocolate, second it is possible to whip up the batter/pudding before hand and bake it when you are ready and third it bakes super fast. And then there is the part about them be delicious and coming in cute little individual size portions!

There is not much to the recipe which you can find on Nigella's website. I will warn you that the recipe gives the weight of required ingredient instead of the usual measurements in cups, but the only real cup measurement is that 150 grams of sugar is roughly 1/2 cup. I know it may not seem like a lot of sugar but I swear it is enough. Depending on your sweet tooth you could probably leave the sugar out especially if using semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips since these are sweeten. If you decide on bakers unsweetened chocolate because that is what is on hand - you will definitely need the sugar and may need extra. I however have not experimented with this so I am not so sure what the optimal amount would be.
Deep-dish Ramekins
6-muffin Pan
 
The first time I made this recipe I did not have ramekins so instead used a 6 - muffin pan. This worked really well because it in my opinion is the perfect size for these. The problem is I didn't adjust the baking time enough so they were more cake-like and less gooey. This time due to my roommates having lots of dishes I had two ramekins that I borrowed. This however in my opinion made a dessert which was entirely too big to eat for one person. But it worked out that ESFSW and I shared one (leaving him one to take to work the next day) with a spring of mint on top and whiskey on the side, which made for an nice intimate Valentine's dessert. I swear we watched a movie that night but for the life of me can't remember what it was!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment