Friday, March 2, 2012

Roasted Lemony Cauliflower and Cauliflower Greens



As mentioned in my previous post I purchased a beautiful cauliflower from the local Sunshineville Farmers Market. I had plans for half of it but it was huge and I knew that I didn't need that much curried cauliflower and potatoes and I had all these cauliflower greens that where sort of wilted and needed to be cooked if I was going to eat them. Yes you can eat the Cauliflower greens! Typically you don't get the greens when you guy a cauliflower head in the grocery store. But they are a real treat and taste just like the cauliflower but they are green, which adds a bit of color to a meal that could turn completely white depending what you are pairing with the cauliflower. I also had some onions that had been soaking in lemon juice + zest for days and needed a purpose. What else would anyone do but roast all these items together!
So I cut up the cauliflower into slightly larger than manageable bites and put them in a bowl, I then took the lemon infused onions and tossed those in on top. For good measure I added some more lemon zest and juice (one can never have too much lemon in my opinion!) and several cloves of minced garlic. A decent pour of olive oil, a exuberant dash of salt, and daring addition of white pepper and a heavy handed addition of dill. Taking clean hands toss all these items so that they are well mixed and everything is coated with lemon juice and olive oil. I then poured the contents of my bowl into a foil lined baking pan and placed it in a pre-heated 450 F oven. I roasted the vegetables for 35 minutes. I wanted cauliflower to bet a nice toasted color on top and decently soft - although not mushy! I also mixed the them half way through their roasting. The bits at the bottom can't hog all the olive oil!

I ended up eating these with some fish, which in retrospect went against my rule that meals must be colorful, but it was quite tasty. The left overs I continued to eat all by themselves over the next couple days. I must say the combination was best the night they were roasted but still delicious in the following days.

No comments:

Post a Comment