Sunday, April 1, 2012

Amazing Banana Bread


Have you been searching for that perfect banana bread recipe? Well that search has come to an end! This recipe comes from a neighbor when I was growing up. It consistently a turns out great banana bread and it is pretty simple. So with out much further description I will just dive into it.

What I used to make 1 loaf:

1/3 c vegetable shortening
1/3 c sugar (for sweeter bread use 1/2 cup)
2 eggs
1 3/4 c flour (use a mix of whole wheat flour if you want)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 c mashed banana (about two)
optional: 1/2 cup chopped walnuts




What I did:

Pre-heat oven to 350. And grease a bread pan (I use a little shortening).

Mash the bananas and set aside. Using old bananas is best because they are sweeter and have more liquid to them which helps keep the bread from being dry. I have found you can mash a banana pretty well in its skin and then just turn it out into a bowl. I then follow up with a fork making sure any remaining large chunks are broken apart. I like banana bread but I don't like big chunks of banana in the finished product.


In a mixer bowl add 1/3 c shortening, I only ever use Crisco. I prefer the sticks because it is easier to measure and makes less of a mess, but unfortunately I couldn't find the sticks at my local store and there wasn't time to make another stop. Me and ESFSW had a lot of cooking and baking to do that night!


Add 1/3 cup sugar cream together with the shortening. Add two eggs...


...and beat well. As a note I was making a double recipe as you can see there are more than two eggs in the picture above!

Beat well to cream!

Sift together the dry ingredients into a small bowl. Make sure that they are all mixed together. Now, depending on you skill and comfort level you can do this step with the mixer on low. Add the banana and dry ingredients alternating with small amounts of each. I try to end with the banana.

Alternate adding dry ingredients and mashed banana , for the pros you can do this while the mixer is on low.

Stop mixing once the ingredients are incorporated. Do not over mix or the bread will be tough.

Mix on low, too high of a speed for too long will yield over worked and tough bread.

Pour batter into greased bread pans. Again, I had doubled the recipe when ESFSW was photo documenting the recipe. If you do a single recipe it will make one loaf.

Can you see their excitement! About to be popped in the oven!

Put pan into the oven and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. To check if the bread is done poke with a tooth pick or knife and comes out cleanly. I have noticed the bake time can be variable so set a timer for the lower time and add more as needed. The worst thing is to have over baked and dry banana bread!

Finished Product!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I have and all the people I have shared it with over the years. A loaf will keep for a week if you keep store it in a gallon size zip-lock bag. The bread also freezes and thaws pretty well, but just like most things should not be frozen for more than 90 days.

~
I had more bananas that were about ready to be turned into bread yesterday! So I had an idea and instead of making two loaves again I thought I would try making muffins. A single recipe will make 12 muffins and take about 25 minutes to bake.

They are just calling to be eaten with coffee or tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment