Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Roasted Garbanzo Beans

I had been wandering around the interweb and happened upon recipes for roasted garbanzo beans. The recipes that I found where mostly for sweet ones but I was in the mood for something spicy!

Here is what I used:
1 can Garbanzo (chickpeas) Beans
Olive Oil
Salt
Tumeric
Curry Powder

    

 Here is what I did:

Open and drain can of garbanzo beans and rinse. Dry beans with towel (paper or cloth) removing any loose skins. Now in a bowl mix olive oil (~ 1/4 cup), salt and spices together (at least a 1 tsp of each - more if you want them spicier - I always play this step by ear). Toss garbanzo beans in the oil and spices to coat well.

On a baking sheet (I lined mine with foil for easier clean up) spread the beans out. Place in pre-heated 450 F oven.

Just going into the oven...don't they look excited!
They've been in there for a little bit, so I rolled them around so they wouldn't get burnt on one side!

After about 20 to 30 minutes (depending on your oven and how crispy you want them) remove and let cool. They are best right out of the oven but will keep for a couple days (if they last that long).

These ones are done, it is hard to tell from the picture but they are a tad darker

I definitely added more curry powder than intended so they were super spicy, which was fine because I had an excuse to make yogurt raita (which I would eat all by itself if I thought it was socially acceptable!). My favorite thus far as been the one on Smitten Kitchen's website (Cucumber Scallion Raita).

I think in the future I will always just use S&W Garbanzo Beans - they are my favorite because they are such high quality but I used what was on hand which was Sun Harvest from Sprouts, which are not bad but I think I can improve the quality of the finished product with starting with higher quality starting product.

This recipe definitely can be tweaked and could be used to make sweet roasted garbanzo beans using sugar and cinnamon. Play around! The kitchen is the laboratory of the home so... experiment! (hmmmm... I may have gone too far with that one!)

Recipe:
1 can Garbanzo beans (15 oz)
~ 1/4 cup Olive Oil
1 tsp salt
1 to 2 tsp of desired spices

Mix oil and spices in a bowl. Toss the beans to coat. Spread on cookie sheet and roast in a pre-heated oven at 450 F for 20 to 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment