Thursday, April 12, 2012

Breakfast....maybe....


Breakfast!

I am not a breakfast eater...I never have been. Well, let me correct that, I am not a breakfast first thing in the  morning during the week person. I actually love breakfast food. But, you see I have found that if I eat breakfast early in the morning when I first wake, 9 times out of 10 in an hour - I am starving! This feeling will continue throughout the day no matter how much I eat. I do best with just having coffee first thing and then snacking about 9 am. One of the few things that I have found to sit well on my stomach first thing in the morning and and also not lead to day long hunger is:

Greek yogurt, berries and granola!


Yogurt, Raspberries and my secret ingredient


When I was young I hated yogurt. To the point when I had to eat it because I was on anti-biotics about all I could stomach was tiny little bites and spread it around in the bowl to make it look like I had eaten more. I actually haven't started to appreciate yogurt until I lived in France for a month back in 2007. The yogurt I got there was good! I don't know how to describe it, but it was wonderful. When I got back to the US I tried similar brands and it just wasn't the same here. I have found some brands and types that I like which include Brown Cow Fruit on the Bottom and Wallaby Organic Yogurt?


What I use:

Greek Gods Plain Yogurt (it is the best in my opinion and having the plain on hand
Frozen fruit (my favorite are rasberries)
Granola (any type would work! Silvered almonds are also a great choice)
Honey OR my own Orange Syrup! (it is the by product of candying orange rind - blog to come soon!)



Here is what I do:

In a bowl pour some frozen rasberries in. If you think of this the night before you can leave them covered in the frig and they will defrost over night. If you are like me and do not think of these things ahead of time then you can microwave them to defrost them quickly. I use the lowest power setting for 40 seconds - this leaves them soft but not hot. In the past I have tried the highest power setting (default on most microwaves) for 10 to 20 seconds and some times ended up with a mix of still frozen berries next to ones that were quite warm making me let them sit for a while to let the temperature equilibrate (yes I just used that term for any of you who might doubt that I am a scientist).




Next I scoop some Greek yogurt on top the berries and then drizzle honey or  orange syrup on top.

The Orange Syrup is there however it is pretty light so you can't see it

Stir to mix up all the ingredients and top with granola and enjoy!

Mmmm it looks so good! It just needs one more thing!

Yup for me it is coffee!
 I hope you enjoy! I really like this combo and it does keep me going all morning which is a big plus. There is also a lot of benefits of eating yogurt. Choosing a granola with flax and other grains will add to the benefits and slivered almonds will add some extra protein.

Now for any of you wondering if I make my yogurt look so pretty in the morning don't worry! Normally my bowls look more like this:

Everyday breakfast!

Happy Eating!

Recipe:
6 oz plain greek yogurt
3 oz frozen fruit
1 to 2 Tbs honey or orange syrup
1/4 to 1/2 cup granola

Thaw frozen fruit add yogurt on top and mix together with the honey. Top with granola and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment